Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Back to the Future

Wildwood, New Jersey is a beach town populated by Victorian houses in pastel hues, an old fashioned boardwalk with several entertainment piers, and motels with names like: Oceanic, Sea and Shell, Blue Palm and Aquarius; many with futuristic logos from the past. They are neither fancy nor elegant, but they are undeniably special. These are the sort of unique places that you just know families return to year after year; possibly generation after generation.

Our motel, the Isle of Palms, had its name displayed in a huge casually elegant font in colors reminiscent of sand at sunrise on the shower curtain. The whole thing smacked of stepping back in time. I kept expecting Lucy and Ethel to step out of the next room in their bathing costumes. Yeah. This place inspired me to say things like "bathing costumes".


It's the same feeling I get when I pass a bar - no - a lounge - with a big neon martini glass on its sign and retro graphics. I always feel like a cocktail there would have an air of sophistication that knockin' a couple back at my local watering hole could never attain. I'm equally certain that that would not be so, so I never go into those bars. I don't want to shatter the illusion. Believing a place like that could still exist makes me happy.


Being at the beach makes me happy.

Being with my dear friend (since Jr. High, thank you very much) makes me very happy indeed.

Me and Ellin on the boardwalk. Honest to God, I didn't notice how similar our ensembles were that day until I posted this picture. Good Lord. I suppose it's true what they say: Great minds think alike. Our minds have been achieving greatness together for well over 30 years. Maybe that explains it.

11 comments:

Pam said...

Wildwood sounds idyllic. I LOVE charming seaside communities. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Nothing like a girls weekend away.

Alex the Girl said...

Wildwood sounds like a place I'd like to visit if it weren't oh so very far away. The picture of your friend and you made me think that you may have been to Wildwood in order to attend a convention. The matching green and denim messed with my head. Your description sounded so restful that I may just go back to bed. Pam stole my comments. Comment thief.

mommakin said...

Not a convention, but we did do time at the convention center. Her daughter was in a dance competition there. Good call.

The matching green and denim cracked me up when I downloaded the pics. We honestly were completely unaware of it. I haven't heard from her since the pics have been up - I wonder if she'll be amused at our oblivion as well...

Housewife Savant said...

Lovely post. Makes me wanna go wild, er to Wildwood on this dark and rainy day.

FYI That green is my favorite color and the living end. Everyone should wear it.

Gibby said...

I love that you guys accidentally dressed alike! LOL! There have been a few times when I've noticed that I am dressed like my girls. However, they are 7 and 5, which means they are either dressing too old or I am dressing way too young. I think I am the one at fault here.

Anyhow, I would kill to be in Wildwood right now! Particularly for one of those martinis. And I'm thinking I would feel much more comfortable in one of those bathing costumes than the selection we have now...

Frisby said...

Your comment about futuristic logos from the past reminds me of one of my favorite neoligisms: zeerust.

Frisby

Mama-Face said...

Take ME to the beach!

Love your swimsuit...you look good!

mommakin said...

Mama-face: It's my bathing costume, thank you very much. And if I looked that good, I would not wear all that! I swear, that's part of why I don't seem to be allowed a nice figure. If I had one I would dress like - well - let's just say no one would wonder if I had one or not...

Frisby: That link was awesome - I got a little lost there (linking and linking and...) yes indeedy, that's exactly what I'd been referring to!

dkWells said...

Ah, the Jersey Shore and a Martini! Life doesn't get much better...or nostalgic than that!

I'm thinking you should go to the Twilight Lounge tonight and start your own fantasy!

Oh...RICKY!

Sir Hook the Anglo Ricardo of Warrick

Unknown said...

Ok, no fair, Pam stole my comment word too!!! Idyllic, it was what I was thinking reading your post. I love the image your words conjured up. I love beach towns(or down at the shore as is the NJ term).
I've been in that matching clothes thing with my husband....we like similar colors I guess. He now checks so we don't look too cute!
Girls weekends rock!

D said...

I LOVE the beach too.

And it's hilarious that you and your friend wore the exact same outfit.