Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Festival Season! (Part 1)

This past weekend, Tom and I opened "Festival Season" with Pickerington's Violet Festival and the Columbus Jazz and Ribs Festival. I love summer festivals. I love the food and the music, but what I love the most is the people watching.

Pickerington's festival is a nice little community festival. We enjoyed some typical fest-food and were settling in for some music when it started to rain. We just weren't feeling that die-hard, so we left at that point.

Sunday, we headed into Columbus for the Jazz and Ribs Festival. We listened to some really nice music and had, as one might have predicted, some pretty fine ribs. There's not a lot I love more than sitting in the grass on a beautiful sunny day and listening to some music.

The people watching was extraordinary. I did my part by wearing my favorite festival dress. It is very long - to my ankles - and very lightweight and comfy and (if I say so myself) pretty. Then, under the category of: Making Lemonade From Lemons, I was not having a great hair day, so I covered the whole mess up with a hat. I LOVE hats! I rarely wear them, because, well, actually I don't have any idea why, because they make me so darn happy. I should wear one every day! It could be my signature piece! The crazy old fat lady in the hat! Ahem.

Women definitely get the style advantage, don't they? Men pretty much were wearing T-shirts and shorts. There were minor variations (Jean shorts or cargo shorts? T-shirt tucked in or left out? Logo shirt or plain?), but for the most part, the guys just don't stand out. At least not the guys clothes. The women, on the other hand! Oh boy! Let's just say, I don't think I was the only one wearing my favorite festival dress. Not that anyone else was wearing my dress, but that I think they were wearing their own favorites. See? I loved just watching the parade of cute summer outfits. Are knickers back in? I saw 2 women just rockin' the knickers. And there were women there - walking around a summertime festival - with heels! It's a rare day when I wear heels to work! But maybe 20 years ago. Yeah, now that I think about it, almost certainly 20 years ago. Or 25. Whatever.

And if this festival, and the logo shirts folks wear, was any indication, Obama should do very well in Columbus come election time. I saw many Obama shirts and buttons being worn and sold. I saw one McCain shirt being sold and one guy wearing a McCain shirt. I almost felt bad for him. Almost. He was out of his element, for sure.

So, the season is off to a great start! Fest on, dudes!

No comments: