Saturday, October 25, 2008

Feels Like the First Time

This mornings channel surfing found Lea and I landing on "Carrie". It had commercial interruptions and was edited for TV. Even given those two undesirable and annoying facts, it was really good.

Really, really good.

That's one of those movies that I just forget how darn good it is until I see it again. Just really, really well done. And it's stood the test of time - perhaps becoming even more relevant rather than less. The only "dated" aspect that took Lea out of it for a moment was the 70's gym shorts and tube socks. It wasn't enough of a distraction to keep her out of it for long. The music, the use of slow motion, the dreamy quality, the colors - my goodness, it all just adds up to a darn near perfect movie. I almost added "for its genre", but decided that qualification wasn't really necessary. Good is good.

I love when that happens.

You know it's good. You say it's good anytime anyone brings it up; then when you see/hear/read it again, it just knocks you on your ass the same way it did the first time.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" does that to me every. single. time.

The Philly skyline (driving in from the west). Takes my breath away.

"Big Fish".

What could you see/hear/read a thousand times and still have it feel fresh and wonderful every time? I'm not talking nostalgia here. There are any number of songs/movies that make me feel all warm and fuzzy because of the associations I've consciously and subconsciously made with them. I'm talking about the stuff that's really just. that. good.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Red Tent every single time i read it, i can't wait to start again. As for movies, "Princess Bride" (but that's a book that does the same thing for me) and "To Kill a Mocking Bird". I love them more every time i see them.

mommakin said...

Yay! Karen left me a comment!

You have me wanting to read Princess Bride. I've seen the movie as many times as any other self-respecting person of my generation, but I've never read the book. didn't even know it WAS a book till you told me the other day... so that needs to be rectified.

Kelley @ magneto bold too said...

I hear you with the Smells Like Teen Spirit. My girls are just getting into Nirvana and I am freaking loving it!

Now off to see if I can get a copy of Carrie...