Monday, March 16, 2009

No Offense...

Over dinner last night our eldest related to us that one of her new friends thinks I'm nice and Tom is a little scary. (No offense, Dad.)

Tom and I smile. This is as it should be. This new friend is of the male variety and we figure being an approachable mom and a slightly intimidating dad sounds just about exactly right.

If that was the end of it, it wouldn't be much of a story, would it?

She went on to say that she didn't know why he thought that. If she were meeting us for the first time, her reaction would be just the opposite.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because Dad just looks kind of - old and harmless. No offense, Dad."

"None taken."

"But Mom looks scary. Mom looks like she could put a hurtin' on someone. No offense, Mom."

"None taken."

Then my old, harmless husband looked at me and said, "You realize what she's just done, don't you?"

"What?"

"She's just accused us of being Ozzy and Sharon."

"Oh my God, I think she has."

Being the pop culture junkies that we are, Tom and I have often wondered what TV couple we were. Were we Tim and Jill? Dan and Roseanne? Mike and Carol? Peg and Al? Bob and Emily? Sam and Darrin? Fred and Wilma?

No.

We're Ozzy and Sharon.

We are the prince and queen of freaking darkness.

All hail.

2 comments:

ymk said...

lol! its funny how kids say everything so easily.

Gibby said...

I would LOVE it if we were compared to Ozzy and Sharon. Although, I am not sure if Hubs would like be compared to Ozzy, but still. We were just talking about this the other day...if Hubs had to get all "Get Away From My Daughter" would he actually do it or is he just a big talker. Good thing he has a couple of years to figure it out.