Thursday, March 26, 2009

Paradox

My Liv has always been a walking talking living breathing dichotomy. She is not one who will ever allow herself to be put into a box. Currently, Liv is a tree-hugging vegetarian peacemonger with a mad love for speed metal. She is putting together a band which currently consists of a drummer (that would be her), a pianist, and a cellist. Their intention is to play a fusion of metal, country and jazz. By damn, if anyone can make that work, it's Liv. They plan to call themselves "Paradox". Smart little chickadees.

I remember a time when Liv was probably around 4 (and still insisted on being called O-livia - emphasis on the 'O'). My parents were visiting and it was a rainy day so we packed the kids up and headed off to Barnes and Noble to kill some time. At some point we all ended up in the music section. O-livia was wearing a sweet little dress and two bouncy pigtails. She was brightness and sunshine and rainbows and lollipops and unicorns and baby bunnies. My dad was listening to some music with big headphones and asked if O-livia wanted to listen. She said, "Sure" and climbed up onto his lap. My mom came running over with a CD to scan. "Here, honey, listen to this. I think you'll like it. It's Yanni."

I smirked and turned away. This was not going to go well.

Liv - I mean, O-livia - happily put on the headphones, anxious to hear something new. I watched as her smile of eager anticipation turned to confusion then distaste. She screamed, the way one does when one is wearing headphones and one is pretty certain one is speaking in a reasonable tone but one is most assuredly not, "I no like Yanni!!!!! Bring me AC/DC!!!!!"

I thought the oh-so-trendy-cool guy working behind the counter was going to pee his oh-so-trendy-cool pants he was laughing so hard.

For years, Liv didn't want to go to concerts - didn't like them. Said she'd rather play music than watch someone else play. I sort of got that. When we took her to her first concert? She fell asleep in my lap. Second concert? Cried and whined till we had to leave early out of consideration for the people around us. Last concert? Wanted to be in the mosh pit.

She dresses like a scary little rocker dude (not at all like a little rocker chick), scores straight 'A's and is consistently praised by her teachers and peers alike for being thoughtful, kind and generous.

I'll let you know when "Paradox" schedules their first world tour. Tell them you know me, I'll see what I can do about getting you a backstage pass.

10 comments:

Crazee Juls said...

what a cool kid!

mommakin said...

Yeah, we like her. :-)

Unknown said...

Hey Tammy, cute story! Thx for stopping by my blog ~ and NO I don't hate you ~ besides opposites attract right? :D

Following your blog :)

~ Shara
Blissfully Chaotic
www.BlissfullyChaotic.com
www.Twitter.com/sharabenton

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

she sounds like one of a kind, what a wonderful girl!

i stopped by today to welcome you to SITS, we are thrilled to have you as a part of the community!

Gibby said...

That is an awesome post! She sounds so cool! You'll have to keep us updated or post a video of them.

I love this line: "She was brightness and sunshine and rainbows and lollipops and unicorns and baby bunnies."

Ann On and On... said...

That is too funny. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Glad to see we have another new SITSer. WELCOME! Come on over to my blog for a giveaway....

The Blonde Duck said...

She sounds wonderful!

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

That is great...'I no like Yanni!' Sounds like my middle girl...loves her music and to jam out in the car. Congrats to you daughter for starting her own band, that'll be fun. My brother had one growing up and I used to love going to shows (although my parent's didn't love the drum set in the house so much, hehe).

Jamie :-)

Maggie R said...

Just popping in to say hi and to welcome you to SITS..
It's a great place to meet new friends.. Love your blog...come visit me if you can. I have random draws for my followers....wink wink!
xoox
((((hugs))))
Maggie
waving from southern ontario, canada

Lisa M said...

sounds like your cool daughter has a cool mom! :) Let me know when I can get me some Paradox on Itunes, I'd love to hear something new!

Just dropping in to welcome you (late) to the SITStahood!