Saturday, August 29, 2009

Good, Better, Best - Never Let it Rest - Till Your Good is Better and Your Better is Best

And the award for the longest post title goes to:

I am notoriously bad with awards. I apologize. I am always thrilled and honored to receive one, but I am ridiculously bad at passing them along. I never want to single anyone out.

Also? Often the attached memes are difficult for me. Things you don't know about me? Hah! I am such a naked blogger my computer sometimes blushes. Then it offers me a robe. Because not all naked is good.

Recently I have been honored to have been awarded with the following accolades. I know for sure I am missing one or two and I feel bad about that - I think I received a couple when I was on vacation and I was just off my schedule then. If you gave me something and I did not respond, shoot me an email and I'll rectify.

So, without further ado, here are the awards:

JennyMac at Let's Have a Cocktail? She thinks I give good blog. Yes, well, erm, uh... blog! Oh BLOG! Thank you, then! She gives good blog, too.


This one is to be passed on to four folks who I think give good blog. They need to then pass it on to four folks who they think give good blog, and so on, and so on... Eenie, meenie, minie moe; I pick:

1. Kel at Housewife Savant
2. Ginger at De-Composition
3. Mary at Shaking the Tree (welcome her back!)
4. Sandy at It's a Jungle Out There

Melissa B. at The Scholastic Scribe? She thinks I'm a Superior Scribbler. High praise, from the original Superior Scribbler herself!


The rules for this one are:
  • Each Superior Scribbler I name today must in turn pass The Award on to 5 most-deserving Bloggy Friends.
  • Each Superior Scribbler must link to the author & the name of the blog from whom he/she has received The Award.
  • Each Superior Scribbler must display The Award on his/her blog, and link to this post, which explains The Award.
  • Each Blogger who wins The Superior Scribbler Award must visit this post and add his/her name to the Mr. Linky List. That way, we'll be able to keep up-to-date on everyone who receives This Prestigious Honor.
  • Each Superior Scribbler must post these rules on his/her blog
I'm passing this along to the following Superior Scribblers:

1. Alex at Please Try Again
2. Mama-face at Blog Ignoramus
3. MiMi at Living in France
4. The Redhead Riter at, um, The Redhead Riter
5. Sparkle Farkle at Sparkle's Soup of the Day

Vivienne at The V-Spot? She inspired the title for this post, actually. She agrees with JennyMac that I give good blog. (What a loquacious little ho I am, no?) and she also thinks I'm worthy of the Best Blog award. Holy buckets, my head is getting big. (Comments about head and giving good blog should be kept to yourself. It's the polite thing to do, and I'm all about manners.) As far as good and best go, Viv, takes one to know one!


The You Give Good Blog award I've already passed along.

The Best Blog Award, I would like to pass on to:

Jenny Penny at Welcome to My Momplex

Last but not least, Freegal1000 (you may know her as Ella Numera Dos), at Moo? She thinks I'm Honest Scrap material. She's just getting started in this bloggy game and she is a superior photographer, so you should definitely pay her a visit.



Here are da rules:

  1. “The Honest Scrap” award must be shared.
  2. The recipient has to tell 10 true things about themselves that no one else knows.
  3. The recipient has to pass along the award to 10 more bloggers.
  4. Those 10 bloggers all have to be notified they have been given this award.
  5. Those 10 bloggers should link back to the blog that awarded them.
I'm going to pass this along to the following deserving folks:

1. TeenAngst at My Sharpest Lives ('cause she's my daughter)
2. Shelby at Keeping Up With Z ('cause she's my niece)
3. Liv at Dark Chest of Wonders ('cause she's my other daughter)
4. Tom at Adventitious Cerebration ('cause he's my husband. Thus ends the nepotism portion of this awards blog.)
5. Mz. Behavin' at positively neurotic me
6. Anita at A Wife, A Woman, A Mom
7. Carma at Carma Sez
8. Scrappy Sue at My Home Wellingtontown
9. Unknown Mami at, um, Unknown Mami
10. Gibby at Lost in Suburban Bliss


In response to the requirements of the Honest Scrap Award, and without further ado, here are:

Six Things You May Not Know About Me: The Athletic Edition
(That's right. Six, not ten. I tried to make 'em count, though, for what that's worth...)

1. Doing 'the athletic edition' was inspired by Mama-face's post about her son's climbing adventures. It reminded me of something my very best and oldest (and by oldest, I mean they've been my friends the longest, of course, not that they're old) friends don't know about me. Mama-face knows, 'cause I told her in her comments. When I was a young 'un, I wanted to be a mountain climber. I loved the mountains and I loved hiking. Seemed like a logical next step. I obsessed about it for more than a couple years. I read voraciously on the subject. Now no-one say "it's never too late". It is. It's too late. And that's ok. But it was once a dream.

2. In elementary school I had a well-intentioned gym teacher who let me bounce a big red ball when I had trouble dribbling a basketball. His goal, I realized once I was a teacher myself, was to allow me to experience success. The actual result was that I felt humiliated and singled out. If they'd offered remedial gym, I would've been a candidate. Man, I hated gym.

3. I hated gym so much that in college, when presented with the prospect of 2 semesters of ROTC or 3-4 semesters of gym to fulfill a requirement, this junior peacemonger, this future pacifist, signed up for ROTC. It was 1980 and I couldn't have cared less about the ROTC, I was fulfilling a credit requirement and skipping gym. I didn't wear the requisite T-shirt under my uniform, which, by the way, I unbuttoned low and popped the collar on. Suck it, gym class.

4. I was on the girls' track team in its inaugural year at my high school. I had no business there. No. Business. At all. I was a disgrace to our team and I knew it. For what it's worth, I DID work hard. I practiced. I tried. I was never gonna get a decent time on that 220. Just wasn't gonna happen.

5. I love to walk, but hate the treadmill. I don't even try to run anymore. An attempt would almost assuredly result in (worse than they already are) shot knees (and black eyes). I used to dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail. It may actually NOT be too late for that. But I'd need to sleep in a real bed at least every third night and any night it was raining. And also if there were bears.

6. Once? In that elementary school that didn't have remedial gym but should have just for me? I ran the wrong way for a touchdown in flag football. Yep. I was THAT kid.

Oh, and here's a little additional perspective for free: My dad was a jock in high school and college (four letterman, held the pole vault record until they introduced spring loaded poles) and a coach later when he became a teacher. Let's just say I was never the golden child in our family.

Ah, my head feels much less inflated, now. Nothing like a humiliating revelation or two to keep all the award hubbub in perspective.

26 comments:

Carma Sez said...

I am most honored to accept this award. Thanks :-)

Two black eyes?? LOL

And the rubber bouncy ball - I can't believe he did that - as well intentioned as it may have been!

Ginger said...

Gracias! Thanks for considering me in your awards ceremony!

:)

Alex the Girl said...

Bears Eat People. It's been documented. It's been filmed (don't ask me why they didn't put the camera down and try to save the person being eaten). It's been logged. Bears eat people.
I was that gym person too! I still remember Jr. High, you know, having to dress out, take a SHOWER and prove that you did (we'd lower our bra straps and sprinkle water on our shoulders...once, I forgot to take my shoes n socks off...heh). I remember having to get on the unbalance bars (whatever) and being too afraid of heights to do anything but stand there clinging to the higher one, legs shaking, frozen in place, and trying my best not to plumet to the ground.

Thank you kindly for the award. I shall do my best to honor it.

Housewife Savant said...

I failed gym for non-participation. Me. Queen of Plays-Well-With-Others. Imagine that.
Gym can suck it indeed.
Thanks for the props.
My street cred needs improving fo shizzle.

MaryRC said...

oh my! you are just full of it! praise that is, thank you so much for the award. my husband can testify that i give good... uh blog that is..
xoxo you rock!

Macey said...

I hated gym. We never showered, just to stick it to the gym teacher. Didn't realize it was probably like cutting off our noses to spite our face. : )
Thank you thank you!!!

Claudya Martinez said...

I CAN NOT BELIEVE you were in ROTC. I hated gym too, but we had the option of taking a dance class.

Congrats on all your well-deserved awards and thank you!

Pam said...

Congrats on all your much deserved awards. You rock! Loved the athletic revelations. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny Penny said...

Thanks for the props! If you ever do hike the Appalachian Trail, please take me with you. (Your big head will surely scare off any bears, right?) If you don't hike it, you should read about it in A Walk in the Woods. Ever read that? Oh, I digress. Thank you, thank you for the award. If only I could've blogged about something better than dry humping in time to receive those who will click-through your post to my blog. Oh, well. You gave me fair warning. :)

Joanna Jenkins said...

Wow! Congrats on all your awards. You are a rock star!
xo

Becky said...

I know I shouldn't be, but I am loving the big red ball story:) Too cute:)

Sue said...

but it was such good sharing! i'll have to get my thinking cap on - thanks for the props!!!

BONNIE K said...

Congrats on your awards! From a fellow non-athlete.

Connie said...

Your comments about gym class made me think....

Did you have that stupid rope that everyone was supposed to climb in elementary school?

I could never do it and I have nightmares about it still and i'm almost 39!!

Have a great weekend!

Hit 40 said...

I am fascinated by your ROTC comment. I didn't know that ROTC was just a casual non signing up for the military kind of thing? I thought this meant that you had signed up to join. News to me :-)

Congrats on the awards!!

SparkleFarkel said...

CONGRATULATIONS, you award winner, YOU! What's this?! M-ME?? ME, too?!?! Oh, you shou-- I'D LIKE TO THANK THE ACADEMY... (So very kind of you to present me with a bloggy citation!) AND P.S. Glad to hear someone else is totally allergic to all things gymnastic.

SparkleFarkel said...

Another P.S. I appreciate how this blog episode affords us so many links to new friends and good reads. Thanks!

The Redhead Riter said...

First, thanks for the award. Big, Big Thanks!

Secondly, YOU are hilarious..."because I can see into the future"...I was laughing so hard
(Mommakin's comments on this post: http://theredheadriter.blogspot.com/2009/08/tale-of-clean-house.html).

At first when I saw your picture, I thought, "She already commented" and then I read on...too funny girl! So if that is true, I have a few questions for you:
1. Is George Clooney ever going to acknowledge my existence?
2. hmmmm...I don't want to stress your brain, so just stick to getting back to me on #1...LOL.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Oh, BTW...your #3 today was just too much! Alyssa took P.E./Health during the summer because she didn't "want to mess up my hair and sweat". She missed taking Driver's Ed during the class, so now she discovered she is going to have to take an official Driver's Ed class and pay for it. I said she was going to have to do it herself (she isn't working and is about to start school), but I will eventually do it when I'm ready to relinquish my grip...LOL

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Congrats on all those awards!!!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Congrats on your awards!!

I also wasn't a fan of gym. Especially when it was time to play volleyball. I was AWFUL and my teammates would totally yell at me and I'd be all, "It's just a silly game!" and they'd just yell some more..

kel said...

Oh my gosh! Congrats! And now I have all these cool blogs to check out!!

Melissa B. said...

You ARE a Superior Scribbler...and you just proved it! Remedial gym...love it. I was humiliated several times in my high school gym career, even though I'm fairly athletic. Let's see...attitude problem? Check! Failure to maintain a clean gym uniform? Check! Skipping gym class? A LOT? Check, Check and Check again!!!

Gibby said...

Number 2 and the big red ball have me on the floor. Man, that is funny! I hated gym, too. I remember in HS we were "learning" soccer and we had to do all of these different kicks into a goal, one by one. When my turn came, I missed the ball. I MISSED A STATIONARY BALL WITH MY OWN FOOT. So I am right there with ya.

Thanks for the props! And as for all your awards? You more than deserve them. Great work!

Jenni said...

Look at you with all the fab awards! Wooo Hoo!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

You and I can bond over the shared humilation of #6 on your list.

Congrats on all of your awards! :) You're fab.

Kathy B! said...

Congrats on all of the awards, Tammy! If I ever catch up on your blog you have some links in here I want to check out :)

And seriously. Are you not showing up in my reader?!