Sunday, August 9, 2009

Random Randomness That's Random

Here's what's been running all around in my brain:

-Meta stuff: I've been reading a lot of posts lately in which people are blogging about blogging. I need to do a little bit of that, too. I feel so selfish AND self centered saying this, but here goes. I have been visiting relatives for the past week and will be for the next week. I have a little time each day to write, but not a lot. I have been using a lot of that time reading and commenting on blogs, as is my habit. Some of you may (or may not - how big is my ego, anyway?) have noticed that I have been less faithful about it this week. I intend to be even less faithful next week. I'm in the middle of a visiting vacation. I'm taking a little time off.

Here's where the selfish part kicks in - I MAY still post. I have found myself all kinds of inspired on my cousin's beautiful grounds and I may manage to find time to do that. But I just can't make the time for more - not this week. I apologize if that sounds bitchy or selfish - I'm really not either of those things (much) but there's just so little time and I need some of it for me. When I get back home it will be business as usual, I promise.

- The Week of a Thousand Bands: I will post about the concerts I saw this week, but I'm holding off on that till I get home, too. It's the dangdest thing - I can't upload pictures on the road. Same camera, same laptop, same cords - works at home, doesn't work on the road. (Yes, I have a laptop AND a netbook on vacation - because that's how my mind works. See why I need a break?) It must be a server issue or something, although that makes very little sense to me. But anyway. Since I had GREAT seats for these shows, I definitely want to be able to show you pictures. So that's on hold, but only for a little while.

- Close Encounters: Between bands at one of the shows, I pulled out my journal to jot down a few quick notes. A gentleman approached me and asked if I wrote in a journal religiously. (I'm really more of a secular scribbler, but that didn't seem to be the information he was actually seeking...) I told him I wrote a blog and that I liked to jot down ideas for it from time to time so I wouldn't forget. He replied, "A blog. Is that, like, a computer thing?"

"Yeah, something like that."

Ya'll! There is a whole chunk of society out there that doesn't even know we exist and I met one of their scouts! I hope I represented us well...

Sex and Money: (now that I have your attention...) Before our last show, Tom hit the ATM. It informed him that our balance was dangerously low. That didn't make sense, as that particular day was pay day and his check should've been deposited. He started making calls - first to the bank (no sir, we received no direct deposit to your account today) Then a text to his boss (dude! something I need to know?) Then a call to HR. He THOUGHT he knew the number for HR. He dialed it with a 1-800 prefix and got nothing. He tried again with a 1-888 prefix and got more than he bargained for. Let's just say that apparently a lot of beautiful horny women are hot for my husband and would like to tell him so for a small fee. For the next 10 minutes his texts alternated between 'account balance low" warnings and variations of "hey, stud, feel like talking?"

We figured out the money thing (which was and remains a total pain in the ass, but isn't germane to this story, so I'll skip it) but the sex thing remained. He pointed out that it said if he texted 'end' to a certain number, the requests would stop. He hesitated to do so, lest that be a pay service, too, or, you know, lest whatever. But these hot sexy girls were getting pretty persistent. Something had to be done. He sent the end request and it was honored, so that ended well. And gave us something to talk about.

So that's what's running around in my brain today. If you haven't entered my 200th post giveaway, do so! When I'm done with my selfish me-time, I want to make something for you! (I am still getting used to the netbook keyboard and originally typed 'somethong'. Maybe they have a job for me somewhere texting hot, lonely guys...)

19 comments:

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Sorry, couln't deal with the typo in the first attempt at this comment......

Let me be the first to tell you that when Tammy comes to mind, selfishness does not! Enjoy your time away, post what you can and we'll wait for the rest. Remember Guiltless Blogging? I'm looking forward to the posts about the bands.....living vicariously through you!

Anonymous said...

My behaviour has been much the same as you described this week. I have still posted but not got around to doing a lot of reading or commenting. This blogging malarky seems to take up so much time and like you I feel guilty when I don't comment. One day I found myself getting up two hours early to read people's posts ... I realise that is a little insane!!

mzbehavin said...

You just enjoy your vacation, and your family! ( but keep sending the posts.... cause I can't live without them.....)

Sorry..... That was my "It's all about me", moment...... I have lots of them..... maybe that should be my next post.....

:-)

dkWells said...

I understand how difficult it is to post from the road, which is where I seem to live a lot lately. Wrapping up Lollapalooza today, then back to reality for a few days before the next trip.

Question for your husband..."Would you stop the sex texts if I wasn't with you?" LOL!

Looking forward to your musical posts and happy 200! Today I posted #700 for The Knights of Moleskine Spirit & Ale!

Cheers!
Sir Hook the Chicago Rocker of Warrick

dkWells said...

P.S. You did a great job representing us bloggers! I like to keep my Moleskine, paper napkins and scrap papers...but I find myself journaling more and more on my computer.

SHW

Housewife Savant said...

NOW you're in trouble. The hot button words in this post will bring out the scum of the earth.

From one self-promoter to another I say; way to reel 'em in.

Enjoy your vacay time Tammy!

BONNIE K said...

Why do you keep bringing up the word selfish? I don't see anything selfish in here! Enjoy your time away!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I think it was a big gamble to text "end" to a sex hotline. It could have been transfered to the Back Door Department instead...

Macey said...

I agree with Viv. Back door scary.
I hope you are having a great time!
Hey, I flipped the other day when I heard a piece of news...I actually said, to nobody, "I must call Tammy!"
Ok, Don't have your number, why I thought that I have no clue.
Anyway, turns out to not be much, but this is what I heard, "Steven Tyler air lifted out of concert to hospital."
Did you hear that??
I guess he was trying to entertain the crowd after the sound system died or something, and he was dancing and fell.off.the.stage. I think cuz he's gettin' sorta old he can't take the fall like he used to.
Screwed some stuff up in his neck and muscles...
Wonder if this was going through his head "livin' it up while I'm goin' dowwwwwwwnnnn" ya know? Love in an elevator... :)

Lizzie said...

hi! love your blog :) hope you have a great week!

Mama-Face said...

Okay,

I read about your self-imposed comment break on Housewife and it was just one more thing for me to cry about. (you'd have to read my comment over there to get why I say that), but just trust me I would cry if I did not see a comment from you again.

Really, I want to comment about the ATM, the state of blogland, your general grooviness...But I've got some crying to do.

Enjoy your vacation and keep up your secular scribblings so we can share in your joy when you get back. (And maybe some from the road?) This comment is so scattered brained. Sorry!

Claudya Martinez said...

I miss you, but I don't mind if you "cheat" on me for a couple of weeks. I'll be here faithfully waiting for you.

scrappysue said...

DEF looking forward to the S&M post!!!

Badass Geek said...

Seriously. Enjoy your time away. Odds are, most of us will still be here when you get back. =)

Pam said...

I don't think it's selfish in the least that you can't visit and comment on other blogs while your on vacation. The fact that your even posting is amazing to me. Can't wait to see pictures of the concerts. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and we'll all still be here when you get back.

Kathy B! said...

Enjoy yourself and don't fret over the blog... I worried too when we were gone this summer and it all comes out in the wash. I lost a couple followers but I don't really miss them anyways :)

Looking forward to your posts about all of your band experiences!

Melissa B. said...

I'm currently inside, hiding from the scorching sun, and trying to do a little bloggy catching up. It's the server, or the number of users or whatever, but I've been able to post, but not comment, all week. I think today's record heat is a blessing in disguise, though, because I'm all over the Internet today!

Carma Sez said...

thx for representin' :D