Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm (sort of) Snowed In! Play With Me!

Anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time with my family knows that we play an ongoing and spontaneous game. It is never planned, but it frequently occurs. Our game is that someone will say something that reminds someone else of a lyric. Once that lyric has been sung, the rest of the family must join in, adding as many lyrics containing that word or phrase as they can. We're all good at it, but, at the risk of being immodest, I'm the best. You might even say I am the champion. I am IronMan, I am a rock, I am the egg man, I am woman hear me roar.....

Now anyone in my family will be happy to tell you that I am also the only one with no musical talent. The girls will tell you so very enthusiastically. Tom will tell you, too, but you'd have to ask and he'd answer with less zeal. He knows which side his bread is buttered on. He also knows the way to San Jose, what time it is and the muffin man.

If you're ever hanging out with us and we start something like this, nothing would delight us more than to have you join in. We're not exclusive or anything. I've mentioned our game here before, I believe. We've found that the easiest words to play are money, love and rain. The least musically inclined among us could have a nice solid run with any of those words.

So - why (do fools fall in love?, why Judy why?, why? because we like you) am I, the least musically inclined among us, the best at our musical little game? That's easy. Easy like Sunday morning, take it easy, ease on down the road. While their expertise is unquestioned regarding the music, I take more time to listen to the words. I can often spout off obscure, mostly forgotten lyrics, but I can't tell you the names of everyone in the band and who played what on which album. Tom is by far the family expert on that. Liv doesn't care. Lea and I are neck and neck, but she is poised to sprint ahead.

A good lyric will stay with me forever.

This all came about because, after my last post I had a lyric running all around in my brain (most of that was ALSO a lyric! Did you catch it???) and that lyric was:
Slow down, you crazy child, take the phone off the hook and disappear for awhile. It's alright - you can afford to lose a day or two. ~Billy Joel, Vienna
It's irrelevant, now, which makes me almost profoundly sad - because that need to - well - take the phone off the hook and disappear for awhile - still exists, even though technological advancements have made it a near impossibility.

Sigh.

Which led me to thinking about a bunch of other phone lyrics, many of which have been made irrelevant. Yep - phone is an easy word to play, but I'm gonna let you play it (or at least get it started - I can't always resist...)

Oh! And since I won't be able to hear you singing your lyric, if it's not super-obvious, maybe you could help me out by including the artist and or song title...

GO!

15 comments:

bassislife said...

Hello. How are you?
Have you been alright, through all those lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely nights
That's what I'd say. I'd tell you everything
If you'd pick up that telephone yeah yeah yeah
- ELO

InspiredDreamer said...

Call all you want but there's no one home
And you're not gonna reach my telephone
'Cause I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bubb'
And you're not gonna reach my telephone

-lady gaga

Lea said...

Who'd have known, Who'd have known?
When you flash up on my phone,
I no longer feel alone,
No longer feel alone.

Lea said...

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring bananaphone (du dupa dupa du)

nuf said

Unknown said...

Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone. Let's pretend that we're together, all alone......I'll turn the music from the jukebox way down low, and you can tell your friend there with you, he'll have to go.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

A desert road from Vegas to nowhere, someplace better than where you’ve been. A coffee machine that needs some fixing, in a little cafĂ© just around the bend.

I am calling you
Can’t you hear me?
I am calling you….

sung by Jevetta Steele in the wonderful movie "Bagdad Cafe"

Not to be confused with... (Jeannette McDonald) When I'm calling you-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo... (Nelson Eddy) I will answer too-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo...

Indian Love Call from "Rose Marie"

I got the "running 'round my brain" reference...I mostly heard Dave van Ronk's version.

StarTraci said...

Hello again, hello
Just called to say 'hello'
I couldn't sleep at all tonight
And I know it's late
But I couldn't wait...

Maybe it's been crazy
And maybe I'm to blame
But I put my heart above my head
We've been through itall
And you loved me just the same
And when you're not there
I just need to hear

Hello, my friend, hello

That's my way of saying sorry I haven't visited in too long -- I'm at a new place now -- astarinmyownuniverse.com.

:-)
Traci

StarTraci said...

Oh, I forgot -- the saong is Hello Again by Neil Diamond. But you probably knew that!

:-)
Traci

Claudya Martinez said...

8675309

Unknown said...

I got a little change in my pocket,
Goin' jing-a-ling-a-ling,
Tried to call you on the telephone baby,
Give you a ring.....

Cheryl said...

The only phone song I can think of doesn't even mention the word in the lyrics. I'm all about subtle.

Operator ~ Harry Chapin

Anonymous said...

Ack! I'm drawing a blank...but I LOVE that Billy Joel song.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Why is that the only song I can think of at the moment is "The Chicken Dance" and that doesn't even have lyrics.

Gawd. Goes that qualify as a senior moment?

I would never win this game but I would really love hearing your family play.

xo jj

Anonymous said...

Come up off your colour chart
I know where you're coming from
Call me on the line
Call me call me any anytime
Call me my love you can call me any day or night
Call me
~Blondie

You, You make my life complete
You give me all I need
You help me through and through
I'm calling on you
~Stryper

I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
~Paul Simon

Hear me calling
Drowned in the rhyme on the piper’s tune
Shadows falling
Like the rain on the midnight sun
Hear me calling out
Nowhere to run
~Leatherwolf

I could probably think of more, we play similar games at my house!
~Tammy

Swine said...

Games people play, you take or you leave it! Things that they say just don't make it right. If I promised you the moon and the stars, would you believe it? Games people play, in the middle of the night.

In the middle of the night. I go walking in my sleep. From the mountains of faith, to the river so deep.

How deep is your love, how deep is your love? I really need to learn. Cause were livin in a world of fools, breaking us down, when they all should let us be...

Let it be, let be. Let it be, let it be. Whisper words of wisdom... let it be.

I'm sure you'd totally kick my ass, but I'm willing to play.

Play the game, everybody play the game... of love.