Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reduce. Reuse. Redecorate.

Those of you who follow me on facebook know that I just spent a long weekend at the beach. It was most rejuvenating and not nearly long enough. I won't bore you with details, but let's just say the weekend involved a lot of sunrises, seafood and spirits. I had all too rare one on one time with each of my daughters, each of my parents, and my husband. It was almost perfect.

But all good things must end, and by end, I mean come to a screeching halt.

But that's ok, I guess. I wouldn't have had the profound appreciation I did for the beautiful blue skies if I never had gray skies with which to compare them. The peaceful, almost zen-like feeling of calm that I had while waiting for the sun to rise wouldn't have been as intense if I didn't have the everyone is late for the bus and I need number 2 pencils for today and we're out of milk and oh by the way you need to sign this mornings with which to compare them.

It's all good.

So during one of those aforementioned one on one times with the husband - just him and me and raw oysters and steamed clams and shrimp and a pitcher of Long Islands and a few beers - I noticed a wreath on the wall of the establishment that was actually a lifesaver completely covered with bottle caps. It looked excellent, especially from across the room with a pitcher of Long Islands in me. Tom blanched a little bit when I expressed interest. We already save the corks from wine bottles (Which are becoming increasingly rare. Or maybe we're just buying cheaper wines...) to make these:


And the tabs from soda and beer cans to make these:


and these:
(credit where credit is due - my friend Sara was wearing a belt like this at the pre-party for our HS reunion this summer and I loved it. She/it was a total inspiration)

Currently I'm working on making a clutch bag from the soda/beer tabs. I don't have all of the logistics figured out, but it's going to be awesome.

And now I must have a bottle cap/lifesaver wreath.

"Where will you put such a thing?" inquired my handsome husband, no doubt wondering as well where we were going to put another receptacle for beverage related refuse.

"Above the bar!" I answered confidently.

"We don't HAVE a bar", he pointed out, and not erroneously.

I leaned across the table, my cheeks pink with vodka, tequila, rum and gin (and, by the way, whoever came up with the idea of combining all of that with a little triple sec, Coke and sweet and sour should have a monument built in their honor. Just sayin'.) and my eyes bright with enthusiasm. I got very close to his face, grabbed him by the collar and stage whispered, "We're gonna BUILD one!"

"We don't have any space to build a bar."

"We could make the girls share a room and use the other one as a bar."

He contemplated that idea for less than half a second before shutting it down. I guess beer doesn't lead to the same degree of creative thinking that liquor does.

"Well, we could build one in the basement." I had sunk back into my seat at this point and was approaching a pout with dangerous speed. And when momma(kin) ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Multiplied by liquor. Ahem. So instead of reminding me that we don't have an outside door to our basement, thus rendering it unsafe as actual living space, he cautiously agreed that this was within the realm of possibility.

So.

As the fantasy bar in my basement unfolds, (he thought I'd forget I wanted a bar when I was sober! Silly man!) I need to think about furnishings. The folks at CSN are very very good to bloggers - and other folks as well! - so that was the first place I thought of for adjustable bar stools. They did not disappoint, with their excellent selection in a wide price range. I ruled out a few right away - because they might clash with my future potential wreath - but I am narrowing down my fantasy choices.

Now I just need someone to clean out my basement.

And build me a bar.

And possibly install a basement door.

Not me, though. I'll be too busy making the wreath.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Soooooo, where's the picture of the awesome wreath in the restaurant? You must have taken 1 or 65 for inspiration. Or were your hands all wobbly from that concoction?

Unknown said...

All things are possible with LIIT ;)

What a great story, though ... and trying to figure out a way to bring your bar to fruition sounds like one of those great marriage projects :-)

Unknown said...

You are too funny! I can just see your hubby's face! lol

Anonymous said...

That is awesome.

Rosa said...

Excellent story. I can't wait to have an inaugural drink at Howard's Biker Bar. And tell Lea I love the tshirt she's wearing in that pic. Awesome.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Great to hear you had so much fun with everyone on your getaway! You just can't beat relaxing quality time.

As for the wreath-- You go girl! I think it will look great in your bar... and until you get one I'm sure you'll find a perfect place for it in the meantime.

Cheers, jj

Swine said...

You don't need a frakkin door just to have a BAR!!!! You need a door if you'll be sleeping down there. And of course, with a bit of heavy drinking you'll never be — okay, you might want a door.